Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Things You Miss Because of the Evening Commute

I may have mentioned here already that I do a 30-60-minute commute (subway and walking only) each way every day I teach or go into the office. Or not. My point is that it took some getting used to, given that since I started teaching as an assistant professor in the late 1990s, I never had more than a 15-minute front-door-to-office-door walk (or later, drive and walk). But since it's the main reason I've lost so much weight in the past 9 months, I've come to treat it as a positive. Tonight, though, reminded me of the negatives.

When I checked my email one last time before shutting down the office computer, the featured story in Yahoo News read something like this:

[large text]Whoops!
[medium text]Japanese Dancer Wins Troubled Miss Universe 2007
[small text one-sentence teaser I've forgotten]
[small text link to]>>What Went Wrong


The entire commute back home, I was pleading with Lord Astaroth to keep Yahoo from editing this obviously inappropriate (and not b/c it lead with controversy over Trump's event, of course) set of headlines long enough for me to do a screen capture. But I must not be good at that sort of thing, because instead what I got was a call from the tsuma saying imoto just took a header off one of the chairs she's been climbing on for the past week or so.

By the time I got home she seemed fine, except for a bump on her head that reminded me of the protagonist of FLCL, which old school readers will recall both Bill and I have mentioned here before. No signs of concussion or anything. In fact, she was in a better mood than onechan, who decided right after I got home would be a great time to throw a tantrum.

So I never got that screen grab. Of course, Yahoo changed their story (probably at Trump's insistence). I have to ask the denizens of Blogoramaville who find their way here if anyone a) saw the original and b) grabbed it. I'll extend guest author privileges to anyone who doesn't have their own blog to mock both Yahoo's offensive original and sanitized current headlines.

If that isn't enough motivation, I hereby present you with the following FLCL/Weird Al Yankovich mashup, which is funny in its own right but downright brilliant if you know the former as well as you know the latter:



I'm going to resist the urge to rewrite this as a "fortunately, unfortunately" tale.

No comments: