Since I was on the road and then back to my cable-less home during the tournament, I couldn't follow anything, and since I don't have time to do my usual scorecard checking, I thought I'd end by listing a few observations:
- Seo's win gives her great options when it comes to putting together a worldwide schedule in 2010. After the KNC next week, she can play on the KLPGA while the LPGA goes dark, then choose when to make her return. My guess is she'll realize she can rest a little during the KLPGA's summer vacation but come to the States for the LPGA Championship and try to qualify for the U.S. Women's Open (if she needs to), then stay with the LPGA through its European swing. She was probably planning to play the majors, anyway. So it's just a question of adding in a week here and a week there. If she's playing well and having a lot of fun, it may be tough to go back to the KLPGA in the fall and winter....
- Great to see Inbee Park, Jee Young Lee, and Shanshan Feng high on the leaderboard again. Of the 3, I'd say Park is back among the game's elite for sure, I'm hoping Jelly keeps on rolling, and I'm not so sure this wasn't just a blip for Feng.
- Who'da thunk Morgan Pressel would snag a top 10 this week? Certainly not me! But she didn't tie Wie for low American. They both couldn't pass Candie Kung. Naturalized citizens are still citizens.
- Who'da thunk new mom Mi Hyun Kim would come to this tournament absolutely cold and beat Ai Miyazato, In-Kyung Kim, Suzann Pettersen, Lorena Ochoa, Karrie Webb, Katherine Hull, Kristy McPherson, and Laura Davies?? (Not to mention all who missed the cut.)
- How about that Moira Dunn? On the same day she's listed among the career high scorers in girls basketball in the Greater Mohawk Valley (with over 1000 points), she ties Vicky Hurst and Maria Hjorth at T21 (+1) with a bogey-free 71.
- It's really too bad Wie's 2-stroke penalty debate not only interrupted the awards ceremony but also was aired on national tv. I realize everything she does is news, a T2 is a lot better than a T6, and $100K or so is a lot of money to anyone, but, man, was it really 20 minutes?
[Update 1 (8:20 am): Here's Mike's rundown over at Ruthless Golf.]
[Update 2 (11:47 am): More linkage, to Hound Dog's thoughtful epilogue, Ryan Ballengee on why Wie was wrong, and Jay Busbee just shakin' his head.]
[Update 3 (3/30/10, 12:42 am): Heeeere's Jamie!]
[Update 4 (5:04 pm): Ron Sirak notes that it's not an either-or when it comes to LPGA/KLPGA membership and explains how a both-and is entirely workable for Seo.]
[Update 5 (9:42 am): Here's Happy Fan with an exhaustive update of a previous post on Seo's career.]