Saturday, February 19, 2011

Tim Maitland on Ya Ni Tseng's Singapore Wishes

Here's a guest post and interview from Tim Maitland! --The Constructivist

Yani Hopes Number One Rule Applies in Singapore

New women's world number one Yani Tseng is hoping that the HSBC Women's Champions rule that its winners belong to the exclusive club of top-ranked players still applies when she gets to Singapore next week.

The three champions of the tournament at Tanah Merah come from the elite group of six players to have been rated number one since the Rolex Rankings were introduced in 2006: Ai Miyazato of Japan, Korea's Jiyai Shin and Lorena Ochoa of Mexico.

"That sounds really good! Yeah! Thanks for reminding me of that!," said the 22-year-old Taiwanese star, who is playing in the Honda LPGA Thailand this weekend hoping to extend her 2011 record to four wins in four events.

"I'm really looking forward to this year. I know I have lots of confidence right now and I can't wait to get to Singapore and see my old friends, to play that tournament and see all my HSBC friends over there. It'll be pretty nice," said Tseng, who is eager to test herself on the Garden Course after winning the Taifong Ladies Open on the Ladies Asian Golf Tour and claiming the Handa Women's Australian Open and the ANZ Ladies Masters in Queensland in successive weeks.

"It's a great golf course. You can play all 14 clubs on that course; it's not just driver-wedge, driver-wedge. You hit a three wood off the tee, you hit a rescue off the tee--all the different kinds of shots you have to hit. You really need to focus on what your strategy is and every hole is different. Some of the par fives are reachable, which makes it more fun and then there are island greens; it's just a fun golf course to play. You never know the winning score and there are big crowds too," she says.

However Tseng will face fierce competition to keep hold of her number one ranking both this week in Thailand and when she gets to Singapore. As well as 2009 HSBC Women's Champions winner Jiyai Shin, who Tseng toppled from top spot on the Rolex Rankings at the start of this week, Suzann Pettersen, Cristie Kerr and Na Yeon Choi are all one win away from taking the number one ranking away.

"It's an incredibly exciting time for golf at the moment. We had Lee Westwood arrive at the HSBC Champions in Shanghai last November as the new number one with Tiger Woods, Martin Kaymer and Phil Mickleson all with the opportunity to topple him that week and it made for a great tournament. The HSBC Women's Champions is going to have that same buzz and excitement," said Giles Morgan, HSBC Group Head of Sponsorship.

"Last year was the first time that a tournament in Asia had impacted the very top of the men's world rankings; now we have young talented Asian women fighting for the right to be world number one in a world-class event in Singapore. It all proves Asia's emerging into the top echelons of the golfing world," he added.

For Tseng, just being able to return to the Lion City as number one, to a place where she played and won some of her earliest junior tournaments as a girl, will be a memorable moment.

"That would be great! I'd really wish that. I'm trying not to think too much about only staying number one for one week, but sometimes you never know. I really just want to stay focused and keep working hard," she says.

"When I first started playing [tournaments] in Singapore, I didn't even think of being women's number one; I just came to play and to try and win those championships. I didn't think about the world. I didn't even know how big the world is. It's only since I went to the United States that I started to know how big it is. But all the tournaments I won in Singapore gave me a lot of confidence too. I'd win a tournament, come back the next year and win again."

YANI TSENG INTERVIEW

Tim Maitland: So, little Ruby* Tseng is the world number one! How about that?

Yani Tseng: It's very exciting for me to be world number one. For the last five or six months everybody in the top six in the world has had the chance to be number one and then finally I've got to world number one. It's really, really exciting. I've dreamed about being world number one and I've talked about being world number one and now that moment has come it feels so unreal. I wasn't expecting that it was really going to come. It makes me so appreciative. I appreciate my friends, my team, my coach and all the people around me that are always supporting me. I just really appreciate it.

Now, I have lots of confidence. I know how to be on top. I feel like I know more how to win a tournament. I'm not afraid to be in the lead. I'm happy to be in the lead. Everything's started to change a little bit; I feel like I'm improving and improving every year and it's very exciting for me to see how I'm getting on this year.

TM: Was there a moment when it really sank in?

YT: Not really. All the moments are there in my mind. I've looked back at every day from the first time I started playing golf and I've finally become world number one, but you know we're all still very close; you never know what will happen this week or next week. So I just want to keep working hard, because everybody's working, so it's very challenging for me. There are still a lot of things to learn. It's not just for the short term. I want to be long-term, like Annika and Lorena.

When I first started playing [tournaments] in Singapore, I didn't even think of being women's number one; I just came to play and to try and win those championships. I didn't think about the world. I didn't even know how big the world is. It's only since I went to the United States that I started to know how big it is. But all the tournaments I won in Singapore gave me a lot of confidence too. I'd win a tournament, come back the next year and win again. Through all the years it's been very successful, as an amateur playing all over Asia. Going back for the HSBC [Women's Champions] I was always very happy to go back there again.

TM: Can you believe the little girl who used to go over there to play tournaments is now number one?

YT: No. I was expecting that, but I didn't know it would be so soon. This year I set out the goal to be world number one, but it's been just two weeks! After three tournaments this year I've become world number one! It feels unreal.

TM: Your game seems to be so good. It's not just that you're winning, but you don't seem to be making mistakes!

YT: Yeah. I'm trying. I'm working out with my coach Gary Gilchrist and I've been changing my swing and I think my swing is better now. I've been working on my putting; my putting has always been sometimes up and sometimes down, but I'm working to be more consistent. My putting is working pretty well and I think everything is all set.

TM: And the HSBC Women's Champions? A course you HAVE to be straight on...

YT: Yeah, that's for sure. It's a great golf course. I'm really looking forward to playing that course. You can play all 14 clubs on that course; it's not just driver-wedge, driver-wedge. You hit a three wood off the tee, you hit a rescue off the tee--all the different kinds of shots you have to hit. You really need to focus on what your strategy is and every hole is different. Some of the par fives are reachable, which makes it more fun and then there are island greens; it's just a fun golf course to play. You never know the winning score and there are big crowds too.

TM: And always a good champion. The three champions so far** have all been...

YT: Number one! That sounds really good! Yeah! Thanks for reminding me of that! I'm really looking forward to this year. I know I have lots of confidence right now and I can't wait to get to Singapore and see my old friends, to play that tournament and see all my HSBC friends over there. It'll be pretty nice.

TM: Is it important to you to keep that number one so you can go back and see those friends as number one?

YT: That would be great! I'd really wish that. I'm trying not to think too much about only staying number one for one week, but sometimes you never know. I really just want to stay focused and keep working hard.

TM: And what's happening in Taiwan? They must be going crazy.

YT: Yeah, I think so. On Sunday (at the ANZ Masters) I wrote on Facebook, "Everybody wear pink. I'm going to wear pink and want everyone to support me," and lots of people were wearing pink on Sunday in Taiwan. That was really interesting. I want to thank them for their support in Taiwan. It's huge. I'm going back to Taiwan after the HSBC.

TM: So you have two homecomings? A homecoming in Singapore and then a homecoming in Taiwan.

YT: Yeah. Yeah.

[*Ruby was the western name Yani used for a time when she was an amateur.]
[**Strictly speaking, it's better to say the three winners of the HSBC Women's Champions also belong to the group of six women to have been ranked number one since the Rolex Rankings were introduced in 2006.]

No comments: