Friday, December 27, 2013

Recommended Reading: Year-in-Review Stories

The LPGA has been counting down the top 13 stories of 2013.  What do you think of their choices?  You can tell what I think perhaps by the made-up titles I give them....

#5:  Suzann Pettersen Surfs Solheim Cup Wave to Late-Season LPGA Dominance
#6:  Rain, Rain, Go Away!
#7:  Hi, I'm Inbee Park, and I'm the #7 Story of 2013.  You Heard Me Right.  #7.  Yup.
#8:  Shanshan Feng Wins 1st LPGA Event in Home Country's Mainland with Walkoff Eagle.  And Is #8.
#9:  Look Out, World, Lexi's Learned How to Putt!
#10:  Meet the World #1s of 2013.  You May Have Heard of Them.
#11:  Karrie Webb Wins #39 for Grandma
#12:  Ariya Jutanugarn to Inbee Park:  After You!
#13:  The LPGA's Back, Baby!

Perhaps more imaginative (although it takes a lot of imagination to put Inbee's run for the Grand Slam anywhere but #1!) is bangkokbobby's approach of profiling the top 30 LPGAers and WTAers by pairing the #30, #29, and so on from each sport together.  I won't link to them all, but here are my faves thus far:

#3:  Li Na/Stacy Lewis
#4:  Maria Sharapova/Shanshan Feng
#5:  Agnieszka Radwanska/So Yeon Ryu
#7:  Marion Bartoli/In-Kyung Kim
#9:  Na Yeon Choi/Angelique Kerber
#11:  Paula Creamer/Roberta Vinci
#22:  Ji-Yai Shin/Hsieh Su-Wei
#27:  Ai Miyazato/Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova
#28:  Morgan Pressel/Lucie Safarova

So what have been your favorite year-in-review stories?  I found The Sports Network's to be all right (although there was no rock involved in Feng's approach on 18 in China)....  Haven't had time to read Golfweek's multifaceted approach.  But I did enjoy Randall Mell's incredulity that Inbee Park didn't win the AP's Female Athlete of the Year award.

[Update 1 (12/31/13, 10:11 am):  Here are the LPGA's top 4 stories of 2013:

#1: The Year of Inbee
#2: Enter the Ko
#3: Euros Take 1st Solheim Cup on U.S. Soil
#4: Stacy Tames the Road Hole

OK, so move the weather story to #13 and make it clearer that the intermediate Inbee story is just that and I'm pretty ok with this list, as snarky as I was earlier....]

[Update 2 (10:15 am):  Inbee only made #6 in Golf Channel's year-end review.  What do you all think?  Behind "controversy" and "anchored stroke"?!  Come on!]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link. I do have to say this about the LPGA list...Inbee is #7?!! Ummmm...I am waiting for them to complete their list before really commenting, but I will say this. I wonder if somebody like Paula Creamer, Michelle Wie, Stacy Lewis or Lexi Thompson had won the year's first 3 Majors...and in doing so matched an accomplishment that hasn't been achieved since 1950,, if they would be ranked so low. I hsve a suspicion they would be ranked a lot higher than 7th. A player does something historic which actually caused mainstream media to play attention to the tour and it doesn't even make the top 5? Frankly, it should be #1. Again, I await what #1 will be. Maybe they'll come back to Inbee. But as it stands, this is this kind of...well, I'll just say it...disrespect...that drives us Seoul Sister fans crazy!

Anonymous said...

sorry for the typos "I have a suspicion"..."to pay attention"..."this is the kind of disrepect"

The Constructivist said...

Totally agreed, bkb! I think IBP's 3 majors will be the #1 story on the year in review, but am ready to raise hell if it's not!

Anonymous said...

I'll give credit where it's due. It seems LPGA.com used a piecemeal approach to Inbee's season, but in the end they got it right with #1. It couldn't be anything else.