Sunday, August 23, 2009

How to Catch up Fast on the Solheim Cup

With work and family taking up almost all my time the last few days, I'm probably closer to the majority of sports fans when it comes to this year's Solheim Cup than I've been since I started Mostly Harmless. Like most Americans, I needed a way of catching up fast on all the action I missed, but I wanted to do so without relying on the simplified versions passed on by the AP and others in the golfy media. So here's what I did, and what you can do, too, if you want to get ready to follow today's action.

To remind myself of where things stood heading into the Saturday morning best-ball matches, I checked out Brent Kelley's overview of Friday's action and his executive summary of the four-ball matches. Then I headed over to Hound Dog's live-blog to see how things played out and his breakdown of the afternoon alternate-shot matches to see how he set things up. Then I did the same Kelley/Hound Dog combo for the afternoon foursomes matches. After reading Hound Dog's rundown of the Sunday singles match-ups, I'm ready for his live-blog and LPGA.com's live scoring. And so are you, assuming you don't have Golf Channel.

Me, I'm off to the beach with the family. I only have time for a couple of comments. By putting Pettersen rather than Davies 1st, Team Euro Captain Alison Nicholas ensured it's going to be a long day. Since this is the 3rd round of 5 she's decided to lead off with Pettersen, I have to assume slowing things down is part of her strategy. I thought that Pressel and McPherson saved Team USA Captain Beth Daniel's butt yesterday afternoon. If they had lost, I would have been the 1st to question her decision to put 2 precision players together on the long Rich Harvest Farms course. We'll see if her strategy of resting her players pays off today! It's all on their shoulders now.

No comments: