Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Checking on My Top 30 Predictions

This will be my last post for awhile as I am leaving to go to the Canadien Open in Montreal. Before I leave I would like to take a look at my top 30 predictions.

Way back in February, before the first tournament was played, the Constructivist asked us to predict our top 30 players for the coming year. Fourteen of twenty-four tournaments are now in the books, so let's see how I am doing.

1- Na Yeon Choi- Missed big time here, she is currently #13 on the official Rolex Player of the Year rankings. Haven't given up on her moving up yet.

2- Ji Yai Shin- Currently T15 on the Rolex P.O.Y. Seems I got this one wrong also.

3- Suzanne Pettersen- Not a bad pick as she is currently #6.

4- Paula Creamer- Currently T8, so I still have chance.

5- Yani Tseng- Pretty much has the #1 honors for the year wrapped up. At least I had her top 5.

6- Cristie Kerr- Currently in third place. Not my worst pick.

7- Song Hee Kim- Who could have figured this? In 28th place, I bet I'm not the only one who screwed this one up.

8- Ai Miyazato- Hanging in at #10. I should be real close on this one.

9- I.K. Kim- My pick is looking good as she is T11.

10-Michelle Wie- Currently tied for 18th. She needs to step it up.

11-Mika Miyazato- She is also T18, I need a big finish.

12-Morgan Pressel- Her inability to hit long drives always makes me underestimate this girl. Currently tied for 6th in the rankings, I may have to start rethinking her.

13-Hee Young Seo - I went out on a limb here picking her this high in her rookie season. Her current T15 ranking is making me look brilliant.

14-Brittany Lincicome- Currently tied for 8th.

15-Amy Yang- I'm still waiting for her to be the next Stacy Lewis and have a breakthrough year. Currently T20, it hasn't happened yet.

16-Angela Stanford- Such a streaky player, she is playing more consistent this year, as shown by her T6 position.

17-Anna Nordqvist- Did winning that major championship in her rookie year make me think she is better than what she is? She has been dropping off since. Currently 27th on the Rolex Player of the Year rankings.

18-Stacy Lewis - She finished 25th in the 2010 player of the year rankings. I thought I was doing her solid by predicting her this high. Be honest, how many people thought she would be #2 now?

19-Brittany Lang- Looking pretty good here, she is T15.

20-Inbee Park- I'm also looking good here, as her T23 shows.

21-Karrie Webb- What can I say, even with her current cooling off period she is #4.

22-Amanda Blumenherst- This is only her second year on tour. Have to stop picking with my heart and not my head. No P.O.Y points this year.

23-Vicky Hurst- The talent is there. Wish she would show it more often. No P.O.Y. points this year.

24-Karine Icher- Her maternity leave gives me a pass on this one.

25-Azuhara Munoz- I thought the sophomore jinx was a baseball term.

26-Beatriz Recari- Ditto.

27-Natalie Gulbis- What was I looking at? Don't answer that! A good bet to always finish top 40, I picked her way too high.

28-Christina Kim- I thought this being a Solheim Cup year would motivate her. Guess I was wrong again. Not a single P.O.Y. point.

29-Hee Young Park- Her collapse this year was unforeseen by many.

30-Belen Mozo- I knew I should have put the cap on the glue tube before I made this pick!

As you can see my picks for the top 20 were certainly better than my last 10. The good news is that ten more tournaments have yet to be played.

Hard-to-Believe Fact of the Week:

Suzann Pettersen has not won a stroke-play event since September of 2009.

Just a Thought.........

I keep reading about how weak this year's LPGA rookies are. I can't argue with that. I may be getting ahead of myself here, but I am licking my chops over the possibilities of next year's crew. There are many, but here are just four I think will shine:

1- Kathleen Ekey- She is already a multiple winner on the Futures Tour this year. Currently with a sizable lead on top of the money list, she will get her LPGA card and a nice spot on the priority list without having to go to qualifying school.
Both fans and sponsors are going to love this girl.

2- Danielle Kang- Winner of two consecutive U.S. amateur championships, she will be entering phase two of Q-School next month. A sure thing.

3- So-Yeon Ryu- Won the U.S. Open this year as a non LPGA player. Already ranked #26 in the world, she will be the favorite for the Rookie of the Year award next year.

4- Lexi Thompson- She doesn't turn 17 until early next year. Look for her to make an immediate impact.





No comments: