Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Ai Miyazato: "When I Get Stuck in My Head..."

Pretty boilerplate pre-tournament interview clips from the Women's British Open interviews with Ai Miyazato and Cristie Kerr until about the 2:45 mark:



A female reporter asked Miyazato about how she decides when to ask her translator for help in interviews. She loved the question and found it even funnier when her translator repeated it for her in Japanese. I've modified the LPGA transcription of her answer:

Well, I always try my best. But suddenly when I start thinking in Japanese in my head, then I just get stuck in my head. Like right now. [translator:] So when I get stuck in my head, that's when I let my translator do the talking.

Reminds me of when I had 1st moved to Fukuoka and began studying Japanese formally. During those early weeks I kept flashing back to my high-school Spanish whenever I was reaching for a new Japanese term. Took what felt like a really long time to get unstuck from Spanish, to translate the figure into Miyazatoese!

Oh, and by the way, RICOH sponsors Paula Creamer and they'll be debuting some pretty funny commercials this week. I think Paula still needs to work on her delivery a little.

3 comments:

IceCat said...

When I updated my Grace Park "Race to Category 1" thread to show that she had slipped from 75th to 77th on the Money List I noticed that one of the players who leapfrogged her was Mariajo Uribe, which is impossible because she was in the the Evian field as one of the ten sponsor exemptions, yet her money and that won by Gwladys Nocera (the only other Tour member among the four invitees to make the cut) was counted as official money contrary to what I've understood to be Tour policy. What gives?

Kevin

The Constructivist said...

I was wondering about that myself! I'll see what I can find out.

The Constructivist said...

Kevin, I emailed Mike Scanlan, and here's his official response:

"Prize money earned by LPGA members who qualify by sponsor invitation for tournaments with no cut is considered unofficial for the purposes of the LPGA Official Money List."

So if there is a cut the money counts.