Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Mobile Bay LPGA Classic This and That

Picking up where Tony Jesselli left off, I'll take a couple of minutes to say a few words about the Mobile Bay LPGA Classic, which starts tomorrow in Mobile, Alabama.  First, here are my guesses for this week's PakPicker competition at Seoul Sisters.com:

1. Choi Na Yeon
2. Kerr
3. Lang
4. Pettersen
5. Creamer
6. Lewis, Stacy
7. Yoo
8. Feng
9. Stanford
10. Thompson
11. Munoz
12. Ryu

Alts: Webb; Seo; Hedwall

It was hard for me to leave defending champion Maria Hjorth off this list, not to mention Karen Stupples, Katherine Hull, Se Ri Pak [Update (10:13 pm): wait, just read on Seoul Sisters.com that she's out with a dislocated left shoulder after a fall, the clubhouse steps yesterday], and Brittany Lincicome, but I have a feeling that some straight shooters and precision players will sneak by them this week.  (For what it's worth, that is:  I certainly jinxed myself by putting my picks on the blog last week instead of just on the discussion board!)

As for who I'm rooting for, I'd love to see Jee Young Lee and Song-Hee Kim, who have some good memories here, start getting out of their far-too-long slumps this week.  I'm rooting for Moira Dunn, Mina Harigae, Tiffany Joh, Mariajo Uribe, and Hannah Yun to put together a few good rounds in a row, as well.  But really, there are so many "New Blood" and "Generation Prodigy" players in the field this week, it's hard not to root for them all!  Not to mention Grace Park, Jeong Jang, and Jane Park....

Pretty cool pairings:  good for Granada, getting to play with Gulbis and Thompson; also a good opportunity for Korda to play with Kerr and Munoz; but the one I'd probably be following on Thursday would be Gulyanamitta, Lindberg, and Nomura (making her LPGA debut this season).

I love Robert Trent Jones courses, having grown up on Colgate University's Seven Oaks.  You definitely can score well on them, but you have to be hitting on all cylinders and any little mistake can end up costing you big-time.  Should be a great week!

No comments: