Monday, July 1, 2013

The Tseng Dynasty Has Officially Been Toppled--All Hail the Queen Bee!

I have to admit, I thought that when Stacy Lewis's putting went from incomprehensibly great to merely amazingly good and her grip on world #1 started to loosen, I thought we were going to be entering another interregnum period as we did when Lorena Ochoa retired and a sixpack of emerging and established LPGA stars vied for the top spot on the planet.  But just as Ya Ni Tseng leapfrogged Ji-Yai Shin, Ai Miyazato, and Cristie Kerr, separated herself from them and the other amazing golfers of that interregnum, and established the Tseng Dynasty much faster than I expected, so, too, has Inbee Park passed Stacy Lewis and left the other amazing golfers of 2013 in the dust this season.  I don't need to tell anyone visiting this site about the significance of Park's dominating win at the U.S. Women's Open yesterday:  how it puts her in position to become the 1st golfer ever to win four majors in a row in a single season (at St. Andrews, no less!), how it gets us all thinking about what to call a Grand Slam in a season with 5 majors (she's defending champion at Evian!), how in extending her LPGA winning streak to 3 tournaments and giving her 6 wins already this season it puts her in position to challenge LPGA records for consecutive wins and most wins for the season, how intimidating and demoralizing the way she made Sebonack look easy must have been to the golfers in her lead chase pack, how her achievements and quest are helping bring women's golf to new audiences....

So I'll stop here and focus on preparing for my own tournament, the NYSGA's qualifier for the Men's Amateur at Wayne Hills tomorrow morning.  I'm hoping that seeing so much of Park, In-Kyung Kim, and So Yeon Ryu yesterday lends some strength to my own game.  Wish me luck!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

May the Force BeeIn You!

The Constructivist said...

Nice!

Diane said...

I like Inbee Park. I think what she has accomplished is amazing. But I also think one person winning every week is not a good thing for the Tour as a whole.

The Constructivist said...

It can't last, Diane! But the longer it lasts, the more amazing it is....

The Constructivist said...
This comment has been removed by the author.