Monday, May 18, 2009

Sybase Classic Sunday: Ji Young Oh Outlasts Suzann Pettersen

With Golf Girl and Stephanie Wei blogging the Sybase Classic on-site this past weekend-plus (along with WedgePlayer and PHILK_NJ on Seoul Sisters.com), and Hound Dog doing his usual bang-up final-round play-by-play and reflections on Ji Young Oh's 2nd career victory, I'm on mop-up duty today. (I was too down about the final-round collapses of Ai Miyazato and Moira Dunn to take a stab at blogging yesterday, not to mention taking a little time off from grading to celebrate the Full Metal Archivist's and my 6th anniversary. So let's just say I'm happy to see that a precision player ended up winning, that Candie Kung hung on for a top 10, and that Momoko Ueda came close--and leave it at that.)

When I redo my Best of the Young Guns (the LPGA rookie classes of 2006, 2007, and 2008) ranking at the end of this month, I'm really going to have to think hard about where Oh stands relative to her peers. She's now tied for 2nd-most wins in her generation with Morgan Pressel, behind only Seon Hwa Lee. She's beaten Ya Ni Tseng and Suzann Pettersen for that pair of wins. Not too shabby!

[Update 1 (5/19/09, 11:39 am): Add Jeff Skinner of LinksLifeGolf to the list of Sybase bloggers. I had to qualify his fine point about distance on the LPGA, but, still, a blog worth following!]

No comments: