Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Lift Off

Episode 2 of 2001 Redux: A Toy Odyssey

In episode one Jumper and Kong got a call on the Red Phone. “There’s a mysterious green box up in space over Citytown,” said Mayor Grumpy Grumble. And so the two friends sat down to plan plans and scheme schemes, while drinking hot chocolate and eating cookies. Note for squeamish adults: there's no poop in this episode.

hot chocolate & cookies 2.jpg

Kong: “So, how’re we going to investigate the green box if it’s up in space?”

Jumper: “Why, we’ll have to go up in space.”

Kong: “Gee, I’ve never been in space. How do we get there?”

“We’ll have to fly in a rocket ship.”

“A rocket ship! Won’t that go higher than high and faster than fast?”

“Yes, it will. It’s so neat.”

“Uh . . . I don’t know . . . I mean, what if it crashes?“

“It won’t crash, Kong. It’s safe.”

“I don’t know. Sounds pretty scary to me. You ever done this before?”

“Lots of times. That’s how I used to visit Sparkychan and Gojochan.”

“Well, OK, I guess, if you say so.”

And so the two friends went to Jump-Off Space Port, at the very farthest edge of Citytown:

embankment 2.jpg

When they got inside it was BIG.

double escalator.jpg

jump and kong in space station.jpg

Finally, they saw their space ship. And they jumped right on it:


sitting on the nose.jpg


Jump: “Um, err, I don’t think we’re supposed to be on the outside of the ship.”

Kong: “Why not?”

“’Cause we might fall off. And get cold.”

“Get cold?”

“Yeah, Kong, it’s cold out in space.”

So the two friends got inside the space ship:

kong inside.jpg

jump in space ship.jpg

two travelers.jpg

Then the space ship took off. Rumble rumble roar roar whooshhh whooshhh whooshhhhhh . . . . it went. Jump and Kong were in space!

“Whee! This isn’t so bad,” said Kong.

“That’s right,” said Jump, “it’s not bad it all. It’s fun.”

And so they flew and flew and talked and talked. They even had hot chocolate and cookies. And then . . . .

infant-stars & box small.jpg

“There it is,” said Kong, “the green box.”

They got closer, and the box got bigger . . .

infant-stars & box medium.jpg

. . . and bigger . . .

“Boy, it sure is big,” said Jump.

infant-stars & box large.jpg

And, look!” said Kong. “It’s turning funny colors”

And so it was:

infant-stars & box large freaky 1.jpg

“It’s turning blue and red,” said Jump. “I wonder what’s happening?”

infant-stars & box large freaky 2.jpg

“It’s still changing,” said Jump. “I’m getting scared.”

"Me, too," said Kong. "But, ya know, it's kinda pretty, too. Don't you think?"

infant-stars & box large freaky 3.jpg

“Looks like it’s heating up,” said Kong.

infant-stars & box large freaky 4 glow.jpg

“Now it’s glowing,” said Jump. “I wonder what’s happening. Is it going to explode?”

“I don’t know,” said Kong, “I don’t know. But I just talked with Mayor Grumble, and he said that Citytown is OK.”

“That’s good,” said Jump. “I think we just have to keep calm and investigate.”

And so the friends kept calm and began to investigate. What did they find out? Did the green box explode? Did it turn into candy? What did it do? Tune in next time for the next episode of 2001 Redux: A Toy Odyssey.

5 comments:

The Constructivist said...

Onechan said it's going to turn rainbow colors soon!

Bill Benzon said...

Hmmmm . . . . .

& maybe it's going to lead to wacky land, or the sneaker palace. who knows.

Anonymous said...

Bill, my 6-year-old, Laura, can't wait for Episode 3! She says (I'm taking dictation), "I really, really like it so much that I want you to write Episodes 3, 4,5, 6, 7, and 8 too! I really, really, really want to see what happens in Episode 3."

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bill Benzon said...

Tell her I want to see too.

Does she have any suggestions or desires about future events?