Thursday, February 21, 2008

Who to Root for This Week?

Well, first and always Moira Dunn and Ai Miyazato and Seon Hwa Lee. They're the ones who can make my week miserable or joyous (or both). Then the players I really like and respect the most: Annika Sorenstam, Se Ri Pak, Mi Hyun Kim (when she's in the field), Jeong Jang, Hee-Won Han, Lorena Ochoa, Stacy Prammanasudh, Paula Creamer, Jee Young Lee, Morgan Pressel, In-Kyung Kim, Angela Park, Jane Park, Momoko Ueda, Na-Yeon Choi, and Ya Ni Tseng (and Ji-Yai Shin once she comes over full-time from the KLPGA). Then New Yorkers like Laura Diaz, Meaghan Francella, and Danielle Downey.

Yeah, that's a lot. And actually I wish almost everyone on tour well, even ones I'm not personally all that high on. One nice effect of golf blogging is it's exposed me to a much wider range of players than I would otherwise have paid attention to. Oh, and it's given me a much better sense of the ups and downs in even the most successful careers. Which is to say I even hold out hope for Grace Park, Jennifer Rosales, and Michelle Wie, would love to see a Candie Kung comeback, and am an automatic fan of every mom on tour....

But you know what? This week I'm rooting for Sakura Yokomine to win so she can join Ai-chan and Momo-chan full-time on the LPGA. Check out Amaebirah's 2/20/08 posting here for a couple of clues why. Maybe it's the effect of watching all 12 episodes of Hottie Paradise (ok, For You in Full Bloom, actually) with the Full Metal Archivist this past month, but it just makes me happy to see Ai-chan smiling. Yeesh, that's sappy, even for me--but it's true! Fandom is weird.

No comments: