Monday, May 30, 2011

As the World Turns III

This irregular Mostly Harmless feature seems to becoming a monthly thing! Check out my March and April installments!

It Couldn't Have Happened to a Nicer Person! Mariajo Uribe fired a 66 to win the HSBC Brazil Cup by 1 shot over Lindsey Wright and 2 over Maria Hjorth. How do I know Uribe is nice? Read on!

Who Comes after the New Blood? Given that I've named the rookie classes of 2006-2008 the Young Guns and 2009-2011 the New Blood, what should I call the next LPGA generation? I better think fast, as there are some high-quality college golfers turning pro this summer, among them U.S. Women's Amateur champion Danielle Kang, LSU's Megan McChrystal, Arizona State's Carlota Ciganda, USC's Lizette Salas, Auburn's Cydney Clanton, Wake Forest teammates Natalie Sheary and Michelle Shin, Florida's Jessica Yadloczky, recent U.S. Women's Open qualifier Joanna Coe, and Arkansas's Kelli Shean. [Update (6/1/11): Add Stacey Miller to the list!]

Hope they all get their applications to the 1st stage of LPGA Q-School in soon--they're due between June 1st and July 15th for everyone not already on a Rolex Rankings-recognized tour or in its top 100 on 7/12/11.

Cannonade of Babies! It's well-known that Annika's 2nd child, Will, is now home and doing well and that Lorena's expecting, but I wonder how many people are following Jeong Jang on facebook or via Seoul Sisters.com? Well, the recently-married Jang is also expecting and has decided to take the entire year off from competitive golf. Congrats to all the LPGA's new and expecting moms and here's hoping that more choose to follow in the footsteps of Juli Inkster. Especially JJ!

Corning Classic Reboot Coming? That's what the local papers in Corning, NY, were buzzing about last week. Here's hoping we see a new and improved tournament by 2013!

Me and Sergio Down on the Back 9.... What is it about golf where you can go from Mr. Hyde to Dr. Jekyll so quickly and find it so hard to even get back to playing decently? In my 3rd round of the year, I was playing Harvest Hill in Orchard Park for the 1st time and out of the blue fired a bogey-free 33 on the front and recovered from a 3-putt bogey on the par-5 10th with a birdie on the par-3 12th to get back to -3. 6 holes later, I ended up with a 77! The turning point? One skanky drive way right off the 13th tee, then a pull-hooked 3-wood into the heather on the same hole, and I had no idea where my next miss was going. It took 9 horrible holes the next morning on the same course to get back to playing at least halfway-decent golf again on the same back 9 I collapsed on the day before. My best-ball over those 2 rounds: 71. My worst-ball: 95. I know it's the early season and all, but this is ridiculous! Good thing the Buffalo District Mid-Am is tomorrow, eh?

1 comment:

Tony Jesselli (Tonyj5) said...

I love this "irregular" blog of yours. I try to keep up with everything going on that relates to the LPGA, but you always seem to find something I missed.

That explains the Jeong Jang thing. I was wondering why someone ranked so high on the priority list was not playing at all. I guess she will get to keep her ranking by using a medical exemption next year?

The Corning feature is very good news, even if it's for 2013. Hope to get some news on State Farm as they lose that one after this year.