Thursday, June 21, 2012

Seven and a Half Hours Later

I'm back in the media center in the middle (hopefully) of a long weather delay.  They blew the horn around 4:20 when I was near the 4th green with the Ai Miyazato, Stacy Lewis, and Kirby Dreher group and it took me a half hour to walk back to the clubhouse and catch a shuttle to the media center.  Lots to report on Grey Silo, the Hannah Yun, Ryann O'Toole, Christine Song group, and Ai-sama's group when I catch my breath.  This is a really fun course and the wind made it fairly challenging (despite the super-low scoring by several, including a sizzling 63 by rookie Sandra Changkija!)

While I'm working on those pieces, here are some cool articles on rookie Rebecca Lee-Bentham by a local writer named David Li I'm sitting next to here:  one from last July looking back on her golfing career, one from just before the final qualifying tournament in LPGA Q-School last November, and more recently some pieces on the Golf Canada web site (a neat profile comparing her to Canadian pop star Carly Rae Jepsen) and in the York Region newspaper (a nice promo for the event emphasizing her Toronto-area roots and a pre-season preview of her and Maude-Aimee Leblanc).  Turns out she's featured on the LPGA's "This week it's all about..." feature and another Neal Reid feature on her charitable aspirations.

Hopefully we'll be able to start up again soon and I'll be able to catch Ai-sama's attempt to bounce back from a very slow start (she has a short par putt on 4 and two birdie-able par 5s on deck) and then swing around to see Lee-Bentham's group and the 2 groups after hers finish up (featuring rookie Mitsuki Katahira and veteran Moira Dunn, respectively.)  Otherwise, it's back to my hotel in Guelph!

1 comment:

Golfing Like a Pleasure said...

Thanks for the recommended readings. I was looking for great reads since I have nothing else to do.