Sunday, January 28, 2007

Tiger Woods Wins Seventh Consecutive PGA Tournament, Blogs About WAAGNFNP

Which part of my title do you think is true? Check out his blog--or at least one that purports to be part of "The Official Tiger Woods MySpace," although I'll bet anyone anything they name it's maintained by a fan who went here and registered the same way I just did--to find out.

Just to annoy Oaktown Girl (who starts her first day at her new job soon--gambare!), I'll also share two quick Tiger stories:

(1) I was at some tournament Tiger didn't win awhile back at Oak Hills (a course I got to play once as a college golfer, but I played the wrong ball on the third hole and never recovered from the shock) and walked within a few feet of his wife as she was sitting on a golf cart. Although earlier I had had the guts to say a few words of encouragement to Shigeki Maruyama, whom I followed for a few holes after Mike Weir got off to such a terrible start (yes, I do like short golfers--why do you ask?), there was no way I was bothering her, so I just walked on by, trying to find a place on the 18th fairway to get a good view of the approach shot of the guy who minutes later sealed his victory with it. Got about as good a view of it as I did of Tiger all day, which is to say not very. While I enjoyed the chance to see a major live, I found myself missing the tv coverage. May have to invest in the kind of cell phone I have here if/when it becomes available in the US and pay for the wireless access to multimedia, just to be ready for the next tournament I attend.

(2) Although Tiger gives the most boring interviews in the history of sports to the U.S. media, he is more relaxed in Japan, so I've really enjoyed the few times he's been on Japanese tv while I've been in the country. I'll check in with my tsuma to see if she has time to search YouTube in Japanese for a clip; I couldn't find anything in English easily, so I gave up. In any case, he lives up to his reputation of being funny in Japan, so here's hoping he drops by Mostly Harmless to find out what the hell the WAAGNFNP is.

And while I'm wishing upon the stars, here's hoping Charles Howell III (another short guy!) keeps playing so well, and that others on the PGA try to make like Lorena, Ai-chan, Karrie, Cristie, Mi Hyun, Se Ri, Jeong, Natalie, and Meena--all of whom I think have a realistic chance to catch up with and maybe even surpass Annika this year on the money list and Rolex Rankings--and bring some great competition to men's golf.

No comments: