Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Behold the Power of Imagination!

So when onechan was little, she'd eat all the foods we'd offer her. She's since developed taste preferences, which is natural and normal. But we found out at dinner the other day that it's not always about taste alone. She used to like kinoko (mushrooms). Then she stopped. I finally asked her why and she told me she was afraid of them. I asked her why and she mentioned Gankochan. It took me a while to figure it out, but eventually I recalled that there's a kind of "bad witch" character who dresses like a mushroom and tries to turn the main characters into mushrooms. Mystery solved. Plus we were able to convince her to give kinoko another try--and she likes them again!

This is not an isolated incident, by the way. When we were waiting at an airport play area, she was afraid of one of the animal-pillow-things because it was shaped like a wani (alligator), as I mentioned here earlier. More recently, she was afraid to do one of the mazes in a book her grandma sent her because there was a wani in it.

I think Emily Dickinson was onto something.

No comments: