Saturday, May 5, 2007

Dreams Come True, They Happen To You, etc.

Yup, I'm staying in a capsule hotel in Tokyo for the first time in my life in early June! The girls will be with baba and gigi in Chiba and I'll be at the annual meeting of the Japanese Association for American Studies. Cross one more "life goal" off the list. Whee!

CitizenSE may well have its first troll--a white supremacist. I might start feeling like a real blogger soon!

spyder (in the comments on Friday's post) gives the leader board for the SemGroup Championship. I figure those who care will click on either or both links, freeing me up to raise questions about relative trivialities here. Like, can anyone figure out the principle by which the tournament organizers remixed the pairings for round two? Or, did you notice how many people fell apart on the last two holes of each side? Or, do you agree with me that Moira Dunn will bounce back and make the cut, despite her double bogey-bogey finish that dropped her to a 75, or do you think the frustration of another late-round collapse--this one right after she birdied the two previous holes to claw back to +1--will be too much to recover from? Or, do you agree with me that Ai Miyazato is still in contention after bogeying her next-to-last hole to fall back to a 71, four shots off the lead, with 37 golfers even with or ahead of her? Or, do you believe in a Mostly Harmless Jinx (it seems about 3/4 of the people I named in my tournament preview paragraph played terribly)?

I'm calling these "rhetorical questions" in the label, because I doubt anyone but spyder will be interested enough in them to even consider answering them!

[Update: I can't believe I forgot to mention that I actually got to see a robot race/robot sumo tournament in person during Golden Week. Yet another reason for Rob MacDougall to go for a Fulbright in Japan!]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well.. i must confess to be spending more attention on the Wachovia with Oberholser, Singh, and Woods tied for the lead starting off the third round and paired up. The weather will be a factor, as it will be in OK today too. So this is one of those Saturdays when those who have the skills and talent rise as the best cream among the churning whole milk.

I also love this particular capture word/ mr goto.. hehehe

Anonymous said...

ROBOT SUMO! Jealous.